Back-to-school represents the second-heaviest shopping season for retailers and they’re pulling out all the stops to get your business. In addition to deals and discounts, some retailers use the pull of free gift cards to incentivize shoppers.
While these offers may seem like a bonus, some are restricted to the purchase of certain items while others have expiration dates. Be sure to read the fine print before you buy.
1. Apple: Get a $100 App Store gift card with the purchase of a Mac, and $50 App Store gift card with purchase of iPad or iPhone. Mac and iPad purchases can be made through Sept. 6, 2013. Gift cards can be used on the Mac App Store, iTunes Store, App Store and iBookstore.
2. Dell: Get a $200 promo e-gift card with purchase of select PCs at $699 or more. The promo card expires in 90 days and can only be used for Dell store purchases.
3. Best Buy: Get a $50 gift card with purchase of any convertible laptop.
4. Walmart: Buy top-brand touchscreen laptop and get a $50 Walmart gift card. Brands include HP, Dell, Acer and Toshiba.
5. Office Depot: Online orders of $75 or more include a $10 e-gift card for Darden Restaurants through Aug. 17. Darden includes popular chains such as Red Lobster, Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse.
5. Sam’s Club: Get a $15 gift card when you sign up for a collegiate membership to Sam’s Club. Must present valid student I.D. and .edu email address to receive the membership.
6. CVS/Pharmacy: Through Aug. 31, earn a $5 CVS/pharmacy “Classroom Gift Card” when you make select back-to-school purchases over $20. Eligible items should be clearly marked and you can earn up to two $5 gift cards each week. To take advantage of this offer, you must be a member of the CVS ExtraCare Rewards program.
7. Target: Get a free $10 gift card through Sept. 7, 2013, when you buy select online-only CHI flat irons.